Get help with costs
If you are planning to plant trees, there is a range of funding that you may be able to get.
Ministry for Primary Industries
The Ministry for Primary Industries offers funding through the:
- Māori Agribusiness Pathway to Primary Productivity
- Matariki Tu Rākau living memorials
- Hill Country Erosion Fund
Your regional council’s land management team can give you advice on where to go for funding. Some regions have additional funds you might be able to access.
Department of Conservation
The Department of Conservation provides funding for community groups and landowners. The:
- Ngā Whenua Rāhui fund provides protection for Māori landowners through the use of 25 year renewable kawenata (covenants).
- Mātauranga Kura Taiao Fund seeks to preserve the customs, history and stories associated with Māori land and tikanga.
- The Māori Land Fund supports Māori landowners to preserve and grow nature.
- Nature Heritage Fund is an independent, contestable fund available to all privately owned land with a high biodiversity or ecological value.
Te Puni Kōkiri
Te Puni Kōkiri's Whenua Māori Fund supports Māori landowners to explore land use and ways of boosting its productivity.
Million Metres Streams
The Million Metres Streams Project provides crowd funding options for stream restoration projects.
Industry groups and other bodies
You should talk to industry bodies and other groups in your region to find out what other funding options may be available to you.