Managing ETS forest land

If your forest land is registered in the Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS) you will need to do some administration.

Land in the ETS needs management

As part of the management of forest land, you can add or remove post-1989 forest land from your ETS registration. You must remove land that’s no longer eligible to be in the ETS.

Participants registered in the ETS will need to calculate and account for changes in their forest’s carbon storage. This determines whether they should pay or receive carbon credits (New Zealand Units, or NZUs). They report these calculations by filing emissions returns. How you calculate the forest land’s carbon stock depends on how much forest land you have registered in the ETS.