Planning ETS forest land

If you are planning to establish or purchase a new forest, it’s a good idea to think about whether registering it into the Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS) could work for you. The ETS enables you to earn New Zealand Units for your carbon storage, but there are also obligations and risks to consider before you register.

Can you register, and what does it involve?

The ETS has a specific definition of forest land, and only some types of forest can join the scheme. Forest land is classified differently depending on when it was first established.

If you want to register eligible land in the ETS, you’ll need to understand how to register and how to map the land you’re registering, decide how you will account for carbon, and start planning ahead. You need to map your forest land before applying to register it in the ETS, or when you do a range of things that add or remove land from your registration.

You need to tell Te Uru Rākau – New Zealand Forest Service if you’re buying, selling, or transferring forest land that’s registered in the ETS. You can choose whether to opt in to a transfer of participation when a right or lease is granted. You do not need to tell Te Uru Rākau – New Zealand Forest Service if you’re buying, selling or transferring pre-1990 forest land, but you should be aware of your ETS obligations if you deforest this land.

Is the ETS right for you? Planning ETS forest land – Ministry for Primary Industries